Wednesday, January 4, 2017

What to wear, what to wear?


We all face it every day, in one way or another. What to wear? Some of us just reach in the closet or the dresser (or that jumbled pile of clothes on the floor at the bottom of the bed) and grab whatever doesn't grab back. Some of us must coordinate every single item in our outfit, from our hairpins to our shoes and socks, while others just throw on whatever will keep us from getting arrested or fired from our jobs. Some dress to impress. Some dress to excite. Others still dress for the shock value, and still others dress to blend in, to not be seen. We dress for comfort, for warmth, for sex appeal. Some folks are told what to wear, so they are identified by what they wear--military, firemen, policemen, medical staff. We have underwear, outerwear, footwear, sleepwear, and swimwear. Clothes for all seasons and every occasion. Clothing to get married in, and clothes to get buried in. I could go on and on (and on), but I think you get it.  

We all spend time deciding what to wear, how we are to present ourselves to the world, whether that is a world of one or one million. We look at ourselves in mirrors, checking out the reflection of our choices. We ask friends, directly or indirectly, "how do I look?" and "does this make me look fat?" or "do you think this outfit is okay?"  We even check our skirts/makeup/hair several times throughout the day (yes, even those of you who choose to wear pants around your knees). At 61, I still ask friends what they are wearing to a certain function, to make sure I am appropriately dressed, and I don't go anywhere without a lipstick.

How many days, though, do I wake up and get on with my day, or respond to a mean-spirited comment, or engage in idle conversation with friends or family, smile at inappropriate jokes, pass on false rumors, not speak out to defend the wrongly maligned? And forget that I am a new creation in Christ?  

That, above all, I am "to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:24

What others see is not just what we are wearing, but what is inside of us—our thoughts, our moods, our worries, our joys. What we believe and what we live is reflected in our eyes, on our skin, in our expressions, and of course in our words, actions, and deeds. So often I leave the house, dressed in an outfit I think is, well, sort of cute (translation: my muffin top is camouflaged and I can sit down comfortably), my hair is combed, my face is washed and looks presentable, and I run into a friend. The friend says, “Hey hun, how are you?”  And, without skipping a beat, I start a rant about my most recent irritation, heartache, or gripe. I don’t put off my old self, or reflect Christ, or even stop and look at the person and perhaps wonder how SHE is doing, looking in HER eyes, and asking about HER day!  Nope, I just ramble on about my trials and tribulations.  And even if the conversation is not a question about me, specifically, but general social banter, I have, at times, just thrown off my new sanctification clothing and jumped into the fray, slinging mud with the rest of them.  

Putting on a new self is not something we can, or should, do with our eyes closed, or with no thought to how it will turn out. We should spend as much time, if not more, deciding how we are to reflect our inner, Christ-given beauty, as we spend displaying our wardrobe, makeup, and cosmetics. Because the former is what we will wear for eternity. Eternity folks. I haven’t found an outfit yet that will fit me no matter how much I weigh, or be presentable no matter how often I wear it. But my new self? That is worth investing more time.  

For this IS the imperative, and the most crucial part of my wardrobe. Before I put on ANYTHING else, I MUST put on the renewed spirit granted to me by God's grace.  Without it, I might as well wear nothing.


No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...