Friday, January 17, 2020

Arrived


As we stood by the baggage claim (belt 3 not belt 5 like the flight attendant had announced), and I held the youngest granddaughter’s hand, I watched my husband and son-in-law waiting for our bags to show up.  Isabella and I had bet the boys would have all five bags loaded before her two big sisters and Mommy emerged from the ladies room.  Alas, that wasn’t the case, but good thing, because my daughter came out with the two older girls in tow, and she immediately began texting away on her phone.  “I think Molly’s got an ear infection,” she announced, and just then little blue eyed Molly  leaned into me and whispered plaintively “Nana I have to go to the doctor tomorrow.”   Seems the return flight from our little vacation interlude in Goa was a rough one for Molly, who cried during the entire descent.  So ended an idyllic four days at the beach, Brian and Alex pushing luggage carts through the surprisingly modern airport while Mandy simultaneously texted the pediatrician, ensured Ubers were booked, and shepherded her littles through a throng of people to the glistening Uber stands, where brightly lit signs and stanchions guided arriving passengers to Uber go, Uber xl and Uber premium.  Less than 15 minutes after we collected our luggage, we were whisked into one Uber, Brian giving the driver the pin drop, while Mandy was ushering her sleepy ones into a separate vehicle.  “Pediatrician 1030 tomorrow, Mom.  Near where you’re staying.  Text me when you’re awake”.   Hurried goodbyes, then off through the city of 12 million to our temporary lodging.  An unceremonious and abrupt end to our mini trip to the beach, back to the bustle of living.  

And it was then all misgivings of my daughter’s ability to face anything the world threw at her vanished.  Sure, they’ve lived here for seven years, far from “home” and family and all the extravagant luxuries we take for granted every day.  And yes, she was focused on her children and their comfort and wellbeing, but she handled it all with such ease and such grace and the aplomb of a seasoned senior NCO, I was taken aback, and actually wondered “who is this self-assured woman?”   

I beamed with the pride and love and a supreme sense of accomplishment at a job well done.  And went back to my bed for the night more at ease about her life’s choice than ever before.  


She’d arrived.  

No comments:

Revisiting Mother's Day

Mother's Day...all the FaceBook posts of how great everyone's mom is or was, the poignant memories of mothers no longer with their c...