Saturday, August 5, 2017

Life is Short

Life is too short...we have all said it.  Too short for what, you ask? Too short to waste. Too short to squander.  Eternity is coming, and it is forever.

A friend of mine has terminal cancer.  A local man was kidnapped and murdered last week, and an 18 year old young man was killed in a drug deal gone bad.  A customer told me today her sister, the youngest of five, died unexpectedly; one of the volunteers just found out his wife has cancer.  One of the clients on my Meals on Wheels route shot himself last week, whether accidentally or intentionally no one but God will ever know.  

My youngest sister died 30 years ago at the age of 24, and my two living sisters haven't spoken to me in over a year.  And I haven't spoken to them.  One of them hasn't spoken to our 93-year old father in over 8 months.  Considering that God determined long ago how many days each of us has on this earth, and that none of us knows the number of those days, how ridiculous is that?  

Yeah, I may be immortal until God's purpose for me has been fulfilled, but since I have no idea when that will be, shouldn't I be living as if the next breath is my last?  Living for Christ?  Bringing others to Christ?  

Hard things to think about today.  

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...