Friday, December 6, 2013

Blessing and thanking God in ALL things---yep, all things

Whew…pain scale of 9 today, now down to about a 7…migraine, fibro flare up, muscle spasms.  As I cry out to my God, I do not ask why. I praise Him and thank him for my pain, my infirmities, my suffering, because it brings me closer to Him.  It weakens me so much that I have no choice but to depend on Him, to let the Holy Spirit comfort me. Don't get me wrong…I am in no way saying it is easy to be thankful for pain and suffering. But scripture does tell us to be thankful in ALL things. Not just for what the world is talking about when they say "Oh I am so blessed!"  Not just for jobs and money and food and health and healthy children.  Also give thanks for unemployment, hunger, pain, loss, grief. Is it easy? Heck no.  But the more I lean on Him, and praise Him for the plan He has for my life (which is really His life to begin with anyway), the easier it becomes.  

Billy Graham writes on his blog:
  
"Think of it: Always giving thanks for everything—no matter the circumstances! Thanksgiving for the Apostle Paul was not a once-a-year celebration, but a daily reality that changed his life and made him a joyful person in every situation. Thanksgiving—the giving of thanks—to God for all His blessings should be one of the most distinctive marks of the believer in Jesus Christ. We must not allow a spirit of ingratitude to harden our heart and chill our relationship with God and with others."
"...When the prophet Daniel learned that evil men were plotting against him to destroy him, “he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before” (Daniel 6:10, NIV). The Bible commands, “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18, NIV). Paul declared, “You will even be able to thank God in the midst of pain and distress because you are privileged to share the lot of those who are living in the light” (Colossians 1:12, Phillips)."

We just celebrated Thanksgivingand to many (or I hazard to guess, MOST of the country), it denotes turkey, stuffing, cranberries, football, family, and cute decorations made by little children. Memories are made, certainly, and traditions are followed. But how many of us were truly thankful, and giving thanks to the One from whom ALL blessings flow? How many of us realize that Thanksgiving is not a day or a meal--it is a lifestyle, a commitment, to praise Him for all things.  


"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. " (Romans 5:3-4)

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be joy revealed in us. "(Romans 8:18)

Thank you, Lord, for the migraines, the pain, the aches, and even the frustrations that accompany all that when it takes me ten minutes to walk from the living room to the upstairs.   

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...