Sunday, February 15, 2015

In her own little world...

Yes, it is a two post kind of night.  After nearly two years of absence from posting on Nana's Nook, I am finally getting back on the horse...in a big way.  Flying halfway around the world to see family (and especially granddaughters) does that to you...

Lydia is my first grandchild, the one who made me a nana.  She is five, sweet, sensitive, introverted, and loves her parents, the color green, carrots, the movie Frozen,  headbands, braids, twirly dresses, reading, and Jesus (not necessarily in that order).   She has a phenomenal imagination, and, despite all my worries, is comfortable in her surroundings.   I knew it before, when she lived in Georgia, but now, here in India, I am even more impressed with her ability to not only survive, but to THRIVE in what the average privileged and spoiled American would perceive to be a dirty, backwards, dangerous, or growth-stunting environment.   She finds joy in  turning a box of markers in magic wands, or in singing songs about anything (carrots, princesses, babies, frogs, lizards).  She can play for hours on a pile of rocks all the while innocently unaware of some guy sleeping right behind her.   She excitedly runs to the spot on the sidewalk where a tree near her house sheds pretty flowers, and picks one up for me and then runs back to get one for her sister, Molly.  And she will spend HOURS being a princess, a baby, a nana, a mommy, Elsa (of course), a queen, or countless other roles, and her imagination will take you there with her.  She is, without a doubt (in my biased world, anyway), the sweetest most giving child I have ever known.
The world is a brighter place with her in it.

Getting me a flower...

 loving her new purse

 playing on a stone lion at a local park

 Catching butterflies

just having fun on her back balcony

playing on rocks...
 ...oblivious to the graffiti and the sleeping dude behind her

 ...taking joy in finding two discarded, partly deflated balloons on the grass,
 ...and right away giving her sister one of them, and apologizing because it wasn't her little sister's favorite color
 ...making play dough with mommy
 playing on a rope swing
 making a play dough snake
 bounce house fun

1 comment:

dellgirl said...

Your grand daughter is just the cutest thing, simply adorable. I enjoyed your photo journey with her, made me smile so big and wide.

It's nice to meet you here, I hope you're having a great weekend.

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...