Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Parting...such sweet sorrow

Dearest Mandy, Brian, and the queens of beautiful, lovelies, and cutes

I'm sitting in the hotel lobby in Frankfurt, Germany, and contemplating the events of the past month.  (Tears forming in eyes...dang it).  As I reflect on the many places Alex and I visited over the past 24 days--Ghent and Bruges in Belgium, Bangalore, Crete, and now Frankfurt--it's as if the visits to European cities were merely bookends to our cherished time with you all.  Seeing how you live your lives, your daily routines that truly are anything BUT routine, the card games, theological discussions, tears and laughter, nonstop queen and fairy games, pop pop naps, trips to parks, dance parties, etc., all blend together and create a wonderful montage of memories for us both.  As you said, Mandy, it was surreal when we arrived and when we left.  I was getting so used to seeing you all daily, to hearing the girls' sweet voices in the Lemon Tree cafe in the morning, that the past few days I felt lost and alone.  I even miss the exhaustion and the heat and dirt and noise of your city.  

We feel so lucky, no blessed, to have gotten this chance to be in your daily lives once again.  I know you even better know, and I promise to convince you constantly how much we love and support you.  You are wonderful parents and I am so proud of you, my firstborn daughter, for the woman and wife and mother you've become.  I cannot wait to see you again next year, but till then I promise to keep in touch.  

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...