Friday, April 8, 2016

keeping in touch




I'm pretty sure Alex and I haven't been in the same area code for more than 20 days this year--since December 10, 2015 actually. What with three parents being critically ill, we have been stretched pretty thin. Good thing we have 30 plus years of dual military careers as experience. All those deployments and 18 hour days and conferences and training courses--who knew they'd prepare us for retirement? Heck I was getting tired of him being home all the time anyway. Ha ha. Not.  

We spend much of our time trying to get a hold of each other, and oftentimes we call at an inopportune time, and get the 21st century version of a busy signal--a text back saying "sorry I can't talk right now."    Or we call each other when the other is sleepy, or in traffic, or just too damn worn out to talk.

I scanned my text messages over the past 7 days and they are pitiful, but they speak volumes about our current situation.  We try to talk on the phone twice a day, but it's a crapshoot.  

...
How's mom?
...
ICU but she's feeling fine. She had a pretty big blood clot. She said her blood pressure dropped like it did at Boston Market a week or so ago.
...
Tires scheduled for Thursday
...
Thanks honey.  Good morning
...
Good morning honey, honey.
...
Moms hemoglobin?
...
Still waiting
...
Hello?????
...
Call me.
...
Dad fell again hit his head again and is headed to the hospital.

How's daddy?
...
Dad has some bleeding on the brain. They are keeping him for observation they can tell me a little, but since Dave is listed as POA I can't make any decisions regarding his treatment. Because of his condition (disoriented) they will not take his word that I can be involved in his treatment. I'll call arbor terrace and have them send a copy of dad's living will.
...
Sorry, I'm busy. Call back later.
...
Love you
...
Did you spend $122.50 at skate land ?
...
Yes, took out cash.
...
Ok thanks.
...
Guess who's on the floor again?
...
Ummmm.   Daddy?
...
Correct, well Monty tell the lady what lovely prizes we have for her.
...
Got a Verizon message on our data plan. I thought we had a 1 GB plan, the message says 500MB.
...
Yeah.  I'll up it again. It's fine
...
What's my prize?
...
Well, well, well let's see. Maybe another trip through two different malfunction junctions like I-4 and I-75 then I-4 and I-275.
...
Uh no thanks. I'll take door #2
...
Oh no you've been Zonked. Looks like another round trip ticket to Polk City Fl. With cows in the pasture and all you can eat catfish at the wonderful local restaurant Angels.  Waww waw waw.
...
Ugh
...
Dad's headed back to the hospital. He's having sink able episodes (sinkable?). I guess means slipping in and out of awareness.
...
Ok.  Praying honey.
...
Love the lawyer.  We are doing a trust.  No more wills. She does it all.  Everything.  Costs money but it's 1/3 the cost of probate
...
Sorry, I can't talk right now.
...
As you can see, these are not exactly "solve world hunger" conversations, or in-depth discussions, and while I would love to say our phone calls are more in-depth and personal, in reality, we don't have the time or the energy to have long, meaningful phone conversations.  So the texts actually are how we keep in touch and up-to-date on the goings on in our lives.  Our seemingly separate lives.  

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...