Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Humor in the ER


Watching parents get old, more infirm, sick, and suffering from the effects of aging, dementia, and arthritis, is not, to put it mildly, fun.  Lots of serious stuff, hard questions to answer, and even harder decisions to make.  So when something happens that makes me laugh out loud, well, it's a memorable moment that brightens my day, that makes me realize to not take myself (or my situation) so seriously.

I had one of those precious moments two days ago, when, for the second time in less than a week, I accompanied Mom from the Oaks to the local emergency room.  She'd fallen again and bumped her head pretty good, and needed stitches.  With her history of dizziness, confusion, and worsening dementia, it's normal for emergency medical workers to ask several questions to assess her state of mind. 

"Hi, ma'am.  How are you doing today?"
     "What?"
"HI MA'AM...HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?"
      "Well how do you think I am doing? I have a gash in my head"
"Do you know where we are?"
     "The ER"
"Which ER?"
            "Transylvania!"
"What year and month is it?"
         "2016, April,May,whatever"
"Can you tell me who the president is?"
         "Shit-head knucklehead"
"Yup, that'll do"

The rest of the visit was boring after that.



No comments:

Revisiting Mother's Day

Mother's Day...all the FaceBook posts of how great everyone's mom is or was, the poignant memories of mothers no longer with their c...