Friday, March 20, 2015

Pursuit

Just got off the phone with one of my daughters (FaceTime, actually), and mentioned to her how wonderful it was to hear from her, because I was just crying about an hour ago. Obvious question from her was "Mom, why?" Well, because of people we love who,  for whatever reason, have decided to shut us out...no push us out, ignore us, hang up the phone, cuss us out, cut us out of their lives.  No matter what we do or try to do or say. Most recently, and right now the most painful, are two very important people to us. Our youngest daughter (my stepdaughter and Alex's daughter, Nicole), and one of my sisters, Nancy, have refused any and all efforts we make to be in their lives. Nicole has shut us out for over 10 years, and has two children we have never met...two grandchildren we do not even know.  Have never met, seen, or spoiled. Nancy has rebuffed any and all efforts to be part of her life, to share things with her, to just talk to her when I need a sister to talk to. I alluded to these issues in a previous blog about control, and yes, I know God is in control, not me, and that I cannot control who and what comes in (or goes out) of our lives. I must leave it to God. 

Anyway, back to Mandy and her very simple, beautiful answer..."Keep pursuing them." 

That simple answer made me think of God, who continues to pursue me, to love me, give me grace, answer my prayers--never giving up, even when I shut the door, turn my back, act hateful, do terrible hurtful things, when He has done nothing but give me life and love me,  forgive me--over and over and over again. As He has done since Adam and Eve, and will continue to do, to bring His children, His people, to Him. 

And when I think of the billions of times that has been repeated over the centuries since the beginning of time, from billions and billions of souls, and how much that pains Him, our creator...

ten years of our little hurt feelings pales in comparison.  

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...