Saturday, March 14, 2015

Struggle


Selfishness...is my constant struggle. Look st all the words we  have in the English language with a prefix of "self". Self image.  Self aware.  Self esteem.  Self assurance.  Self pity.  Self confidence.  Self fulfillment.  Self actualization.  Myself.  Self absorbed. Self destruct. Self centered.  Self preservation. Self improvement. Self image.  Self indulgent.  Self respect.  Self reliant. Self sacrifice.  Self made. Self help. Self imposed. Self righteous.  Self fulfilling.  Self evident. Self denial. Self deprecating. Self control. Self expression. Self conscious   Self determination. 

All of these words presume I am in charge...that we are able to take charge of our destiny.  We determine our fate.  When in reality it is our creator who is in charge of all we do. If I am to grow in Christ and become more like Him, I must surrender this false assumption of being in control.  Less of me = more of Him.  

Easy to say but not so easy to follow. It is however so liberating to know that I can depend on my creator for all my needs, to answer all my prayers, and to suppress my overinflated sense of self. 

No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...