Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Corban

It never ceases to amaze me how God's Word speaks to me every day, and that, no matter how often I read His Word, or hear His Word, there is always something new, some phrase or even a single word that speaks to my heart. Such was the case last Sunday, when Andy preached on the Gospel of Mark, specifically Mark 7:1-23.  In this passage, the Pharisees are again challenging the disciples, and indirectly, Jesus Himself, on their adherence to God's commandments. Over the centuries, the Hebrews had constructed a system of tradition, traditions based on God's law handed down through Moses, traditions meant to remind God's people of God's laws and commandments. One of these traditions was the ceremonial cleansing of hands and items used in food preparation, a cleansing meant to represent setting aside a sacrifice for God alone. But like all traditions that come from the heart of man, this strictly human tradition had become distorted, the true purpose forgotten. No longer were the Pharisees concerned with how to keep their hearts clean and set aside for God. They were more concerned with the appearance of cleanliness, not in the keeping of God's commandments.

Of course, Jesus turned the tables on them, focusing their attention on how another human tradition was in direct violation of God's law:

You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man tells his father or his mother, “Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban”’ (that is, given to God)— 12 then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother, 13 thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do.” (Mark 7:8-13)

I had never heard or read that word "Corban" before, or if I had, I skimmed right past it. Andy explained the term, and I did a little research after church as well.  According to prevailing tradition of the time, one could designate his financial resources  as "corban," which was a way of tagging them, or marking them, as set aside for God, unable to use for personal reasons. There is even an illustration in Jewish historical records that the temple treasury was "corban" and could not be used for secular purposes, e.g. city improvements such as building an aqueduct.  The Pharisees had manipulated this tradition to serve their own selfish, covetous desires, even to the point of flouting God's commandment to honor their parents. If they marked their financial resources as Corban, they were exempt/excused from supporting their parents.  

In all that we are going through these past few months, God knew I needed to hear this. It is not easy to follow God's commandments, because we are sinful, selfish creatures. We are all too willing to find excuses to circumvent God's law, to follow empty traditions that have long since ceased to have a purpose.  Having grown up in the Catholic Church, I was surrounded, no inundated, in traditions. Traditions that became more important than the Word, traditions that took on a life of their own and no longer resembled anything Biblical. I, too, was like those Pharisees. I felt justified in keeping with those traditions.  

Like I have said before, Alex and I feel called by God to obey this commandment, to honor our parents in their poor health, their frailty, their old age. It isn't easy. Many times over the past several weeks, I have been tempted to doubt what God is telling us to do, to listen to others who tell me to take care of myself. At times, I selfishly resent our parents for needing us so much, even to the point of being angry at them. I feel sorry for myself because my husband is not here with me, or because my life is not as I pictured it would be. I want to guard my time, my money, my schedule, to set it all aside as "corban" so it cannot be touched. I try to justify my selfishness, but I cannot. God's commandment is clear.  

Honor they father and thy mother.  

God's law trumps tradition every time.  












No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...