Friday, March 4, 2016

What's in a name?

I have many names...Mom, Barbara, Blondie (to Alex), Mama Ritchey (to my former airmen), Miss Ma'am (to Amber), SMSgt Ritchey, Barbie (only my mom can call me this!),  mi hija (to my mother in law), and, my all-time favorite, Nana.  The name has always been special to me, because of my Nana. When I started this blog (Nana's Nook) six years ago, I even wrote about that (and I would repost it if I could find it). But, to jog your memory....

Back in the 50s, we lived with my dad's mom, my Nana; she was a part of my daily life. She loved me unconditionally. She read me stories, taught me German words, and would let me sneak out of bed and hide behind my dad's chair and watch TV.  I remember her smile, that seemed only reserved for us kids. I remember her orange kitchen, where she made coffee milk and let me sit on the counter to drink. I can still picture her pink carpet in the living room with the big huge flower designs, where she would let me take my afternoon nap; I would listen to the mantel clock tick-tock the minutes away, and when it chimed four times, I was allowed to get up. My dad still has that clock, and I always think of Nana whenever I see it.  

Over half a century later, Mandy made me a grandmother. Before Lydia was even born, everyone knew I was going to be Nana. Not Grandma, or Mimi, or Baba, or anything else. Nana. And Alex would be Pop Pop. Nana and Pop Pop. 

Well, our oldest daughter now has three little girls who all call me Nana--Lydia, 6, Molly 3 1/2, and Isabella, nearly 2.  

I have friends who have children, and those kids all call me Nana Barb.    

And now Becky has a brand new baby girl. Becky has tried to insist we are Grandma and Grandpa. Not Nana and Pop Pop. I've tried on the name, but it just doesn't fit. It is like trying to put on a pair of my husband's shoes, or my daughter's jeans.  One is too big, one is too small, but Nana, well, it is just right. And yeah, a rose by any other name may still smell as sweet, but it is still a rose, and I refuse to call it a tulip.  

I can hardly wait to have all my grandchildren around the Christmas tree, or dinner table, or, better yet, at Disney World, one of these years, all clamoring for Nana. I can't have two names--I am too easily confused as it is.   

Sophie Jo--welcome to the world, sweetheart. Nana can hardly wait to meet you...I already love you more than you know.
Pop Pop is on his own.








No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...