Monday, July 25, 2016

Two steps forward, three steps back



SIX 
years ago Alex and I transferred to Florida and helped get my mom and her husband settled in a safe, independent living facility, with the objective of eventually transitioning them to assisted living and even skilled nursing should it be necessary.  

THREE     
years ago my sister suddenly swooped in to "rescue" them from us and moved them back to Tennessee, undoing all progress.  Mom wanted nothing to do with me.

TWO AND A HALF 
years ago same sister is blowing up my phone stressed out from the rigors of trying to keep our mother happy.  Seems Mom wanted to move back to Florida--she no longer wanted anything to do with that daughter.

TWO 
years ago, Mom was driving both of my sisters crazy with unrealistic demands, emergency room visits, falls, surgeries, and abusive phone calls.  Mom wanted my phone number and began calling me to save her.

ONE  
year ago, Mom's husband died, the bottom fell out of her safety net, and she had no money and nowhere to go.  Alex and I moved her in with us temporarily.  I was the "good" daughter.

FOUR 
months later, it became painfully obvious I could not keep her safe or healthy, let alone happy.  Her doctor referred her to a skilled nursing facility.

FOURTEEN  
days ago, Mom convinced my sister to come take her away from here.  She went on a four day visit back to Tennessee, and came back (albeit probably temporarily) that weekend.

TWENTY-FOUR 
hours ago, Mom threw us out of her room and threatened to call the police if we came back to visit.  

FOUR  
hours ago, I contacted the nursing home and told them while I am still the power of attorney and health care POA, I would perform these duties from a distance to avoid strife.  

FIFTEEN 
minutes ago, God touched my heart with a peace surpassing my feeble understanding.  

ONE   
God

THREE 
persons

It's a numbers game...



No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...