Friday, September 16, 2016

If I could do it all again...

The past year has been hectic, to say the least.  I know, everyone has crises and problems and stress.  I get that.  So I am not singling myself out and saying "oh woe is me."  And no, I do not think my problems are any worse than yours, nor do I feel as if I don't deserve all this crap.  I am simply trying to process through it all, to put it all down in black and white, and then get over it already.  So, without further ado, presenting the past 15 months of the Ritchey household, in no certain order:
  1. Drove to Nashville 4 times and moved my mom 3 times in as many months
  2. Learned how to change an ileostomy 
  3. Became a full time caregiver for said mother
  4. Found out I was going to be a grandma again
  5. Enjoyed visits from countless out of state friends
  6. Almost lost my mother in law twice to two heart attacks and colon cancer
  7. Did lose Alex's father after a 16-year battle with Parkinson's disease
  8. Joined a wonderful gospel-centered church and made new friends
  9. Took over as caregiver for my brother for a week while Dad was sick
  10. Got snowed in while I was incapacitated with a serious stomach bug
  11. Reconciled with our youngest daughter after 10 years
  12. Spent precious time with precious grandchildren 
  13. Went to Disney World for five days with three granddaughters
  14. Put our RV pad up for sale 
  15. Had to replace tires on my car
  16. Set up a revocable trust account
  17. Had my car towed to Greenville when the water pump imploded
  18. Learned how to make a ballerina bun on a 4 and 6 year old
  19. Orchestrated two birthday parties and two un-birthday parties
  20. Dressed up as a steampunk pirate wench for a Disney Halloween Party
  21. Went to a wedding in Savannah, GA
  22. Went to a funeral in Tampa, FL
  23. Sadly watched my daughter and her family leave for India (again)
  24. Hosted a baby shower in Missouri
  25. Went to San Antonio to help my best friend after the birth of her daughter
  26. Attended that same little girl's 1st birthday party 
  27. Refinanced our house
  28. Discovered we had a colony of over 30 flying squirrels living in our attic
  29. Built a playhouse with a mountain view AND a screen door
  30. Took care of mom until her doctor placed her in a nursing home
  31. Got accused by sisters of not having my mom's best interest at heart
  32. Went to Goettafest in Cincinnati
  33. Met Sophie when she was 2 weeks old, and spent 10 wonderful days there
  34. Spent too much time at hospitals and emergency rooms with sick parents
  35. Fell more deeply in love with my husband
  36. Called 911 for the first time
  37. Joined a caregiver support group
  38. Filed for guardianship
  39. Withdrew the motion when my sisters finally stepped up to the plate
  40. Bought a kayak we have yet to use
  41. Watched my normally able-bodied husband suffer crippling gout attacks
  42. Volunteered several hours a week at a local SAFE thrift store
  43. Joined a gym
  44. Started a blog
  45. Celebrated my 61st birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary
  46. Added three new birds to my life list
  47. Grew closer to Jesus
And, would I do it all again?

Yes.  Lord willing

And He does
















No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...