Saturday, March 18, 2017

Finding Rest When You Cannot Sleep

Rest, relaxation, sleep--these three seem to hide from me, evade me, tease me, escape me, when I need them most.  Sometimes it is because I am trying too hard, and have forgotten to whom I am to turn. I have learned, though, that rest is not always obtained through sleep. Over the past several years, I have benefited the most through prayer and introspection and quiet communication with my God, in listening to what He wants to tell me about myself, my faults, my problems, my situation.  Lately, He is helping me find rest. Rest in Him. In His Word.  In His Grace.  In His Holy Spirit. In His Son. In the communion of His saints. Despite fitful sleep, I am the most refreshed spending time with Him. And I am actually thankful for this trial He is taking us through because I know it will bring Him glory.  


"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."   Matthew 11:28-29

"And He said, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'" 
Exodus 33:14

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."   Psalm 4:8

"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!"
Psalm 37:7

"That times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago."   Acts 3:20-21



No comments:

Perspective

Why do parents and their kids react to phone calls (or any communication) with each other so differently? Whether they’re little or grown, w...