Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Adjusting

Mom moved yesterday.  I have stopped by there at least six times in the past 24 hours. Tonight I asked her nurse, "How's Mom today?" "Adjusting," she said with a sad smile.  

My husband is with his mom, who is still recovering from colon surgery and a heart attack. She is not doing too well today.  She is weak and Alex has to feed her every meal. Her diabetes and her pain levels are not under control. And she misses her husband.  She is having trouble adjusting.

Alex's dad is in rehab following a nasty fall and several broken bones and stitches. The staff there is trying their best to get his complex schedule of Parkinson's disease medications down right. He misses his wife and home, but so far, he seems to be adjusting.

My daughter and family arrived from India for a short six month visit only one month ago, and have moved into a rental home in Georgia, where everyone finally has their own room and they can get into some sort of routine, at least for the next month. I talked to them via FaceTime tonight and asked how they were all doing. They are definitely adjusting. 

Our youngest daughter is due to have a baby any day now, after 10 years of marriage. She is going to have an interesting time adjusting.

Alex and I retired and moved to our log home 18 months ago, to spend time together. To be with family more.  To enjoy the fruits of our labors. To travel.  To relax. And while reality is quite different than what we imagined it would be like, we are, of course, adjusting.

God, grant me the wisdom to lean on you when I have trouble adjusting.



No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...