Tuesday, February 2, 2016

When will it end?

You cannot make this stuff up.  

My mom moved in with us after her husband died.  She is a very difficult person, to put it mildly.  She has almost no money. And she has an ileostomy 

My mother in law had a heart attack in December. She is the sole caregiver for her husband of 52 years, who has advanced Parkinson's disease.

My mom had hernia surgery which had complications in November; an outpatient stay turned into 10 days in the hospital.  

My mother in law was hospitalized twice in January, and is currently awaiting results of a biopsy of a very large mass they found in her colon from which she is losing a lot of blood.

My husband has spent more time gone the past three months than he has spent here.  We had a huge blizzard during one of his absences, and I was snowbound with my mom for five days.  And the snow shovel was locked in the shed.  And Alex had the key with him in Florida.

My father in law was found, unconscious and in a pool of blood with numerous injuries from a fall, at 6 am today in his garage.  Thank God they hired that private duty nurse to come check on him daily, especially with mom gone.  But now he is in the hospital.  A different hospital than his wife.  But both are in hospitals.  

My husband flew out this afternoon to be with his parents and his brother.  

My daughter and her family are stateside for six months from India; so far the two visits we have had with them have been cut short by one or more of the above situations.

Our youngest daughter is due to have her first baby any day now.  They live in Missouri--a 12 hour drive.  We have no one to watch Mom.  

My siblings are no help.  At all.  They live in the past or in an alternate reality of their own.  I cannot count on them for anything.   Not even to listen.

My dad and stepmom refuse to visit us here now because my mom lives here.  Even though they divorced over half a century ago.

I have more questions than I have answers.

But I have friends.  And I have prayers.  And I have my Savior.  And my heavenly Father.  And a caring church.  

Today I have been humming that old hymn by HG Spafford, "It Is Well With My Soul".  And when I spoke to my friend Marianna tonight, she mentioned how it was so weird how trials and tribulations seem to just billow at us like waves,  like they will never end.  Just as HG Spafford penned.  

But it will end.  Christ has already won and paid the price.  And He has given me a strength I did not know existed.  

It is well, it is well, with my soul.








No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...