Monday, December 21, 2015

Anecdotes

Just when we thought we were getting used to our new "routine" of caring for my mom, Alex's mom had a heart attack.  As she happens to be the sole caregiver for a husband with advanced Parkinson's disease, this health crisis was catastrophic.  So, Alex got on his white horse and drove to the rescue, leaving me here with Mom and the dogs.  We have spoken at least once daily over the past two and half weeks, swapping funny anecdotes to make things seem less serious than they truly are (because we have enough seriousness going on).

Alex:  I'll call you back.  Dad decided to test the generator at 9 pm and it's a cluster here

Alex:  I am making meatloaf.
Mom:  Cannot eat that!  My diabetes!
Alex:  But you are eating ice cream and a sandwich and applesauce
Mom:  It is no sugar added

Me:  Mom are you hungry?  I can make you breakfast
Mom:  No.  I will just have my coffee and a muffin
Ten minutes later:  Will you make me eggs?

Alex:  Mom, I am making peas for dinner
Mom: I'm allergic to peas. I will eat mixed veggies
Alex:  There are peas in those.
Mom:  I know.

Me:  Mom why are you stripping your bed?
Mom:  Because it is Saturday
Me:  But we just changed the sheets two days ago!
Mom:  But it is Saturday.  I always change them on Saturday.

Alex:  Dad, the nurse is coming in the mornings to get you up.  Why are you already sitting up?
Dad:  Because I want to be up when she gets here.
Alex:  You never did that for me
Dad:  I know

Mom:  Quit coming in my room unannounced!
Me:  But I have to let your dog out to go potty.
Mom:  Well of course!  Don't be ridiculous.

Alex:  Mom, I am making pancakes for breakfast
Mom:  I cannot eat gluten Alex!  I will have my rice cereal
Alex:  Why are there peanut butter crackers under the cereal in your bowl?
Mom:  That's different.

Mom:  Give me my keys.  I want to drive my car to pick up my prescription.
Me:    Okay.  Call me later if you need anything
Mom (later):  Barbie can you pick up my prescription?  I am too scared to drive

Alex:  There are three refrigerators here, and two of them are full of ice cream and frozen dinners.

One night at dinner, the salt shaker fell into Mom's potatoes.  She promptly lifted it up and licked it off.  And put it back on the table.

All in all, it is interesting. It is hard.  But if you cannot laugh at these things, you'll go crazy.




No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...