Sunday, December 27, 2015

Love

Living with my mom, I am discovering, requires the love Paul expounds on in his letter to the church in Corinth. You know, the famous "love is patient, love is kind" verses. The ones lots of folks think are appropriate for their wedding sermon. I thought living with my mom when I was growing up was challenging and required patience. That was easy. I am learning that showing love, true Christian, Jesus-type love, to someone who does not know really HOW to love, is a gargantuan feat.  Impossible to do without prayer, without help, without God. It also helps to have a sense of humor, and to be able to journal my experiences as I am going through them.  

Through them. That sounds nice. Because the word "through" denotes there is an end somewhere. So, here is my situational, hopefully not irreverent interpretation of those famous verses in 1 Corinthians 13...


Love is patient, But seriously, how can it take 90 minutes to buy three things at CVS?

Love is kind, What?  Look at your colostomy bag to check for leaks?  Sure!  I'd love to!

It does not envy, not even your sisters for not being in your shoes

It does not boast about how my dogs don't poop on the floor 

It is not proud and continually reminding Mom about how much I do for her

It does not dishonor others by feeling entitled to special treatment or sympathy 

It is not self seeking -- I don't really need more than four hours of sleep anyway

It is not easily angered even when she needs me just as I lower myself into that nice, hot bath

It keeps no record of wrongs because moms never do any wrong, anyway, and then she'd forget if I told her, so what's the point?

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth, but when it comes to the location of her car keys, I will lie to her face

It always protects, as in not telling her where her keys are (you are welcome, driving public)

always trusts that the nurse will show up on time

always hopes that the ostomy bag will not spring a leak at 2 am

always perseveres because repeating myself constantly is good for my communication skills

Love never fails because so many things in life DO fail, we have to have one thing that doesn't

and then there is always chocolate....





No comments:

On the False Pursuit of Appreciation

Here I am, sitting in a beautiful log home that would be the envy of most, on a gorgeous sunny day in the mountains of North Carolina.  I SH...